Gotham's Joker Actor Offers His Take on the Character, Teases a Return

Cameron Monaghan's Joker made his gruesome debut on Gotham in last month's episode, and it may not be the last we see of the villain. Warning: Some spoilers for the episode follow...

"When I was on set, we discussed the possibly of me coming back in the second or third season," Monaghan told . "Nothing is set in stone yet. I think the producers have a firm plan for what they want to do, but I was not privy to it while I was filming. I would love to come back and do some more."

It seems likely that Monaghan will return, since creator Bruno Heller has said this episode was just the "beginning of the story of how the Joker came to be." In it, Monaghan played Jerome--or the Joker before he was the Joker--a young employee at Haley's circus who killed his mother.

The actor also opened up about his take on the iconic character, saying, "I very much adore the sadistic nature of him. There's his ability to remain cool and calm and cunning. He enjoys making other people squirm, which I think is fascinating. He enjoys pressing buttons a little bit. I only had that one scene to really show off, so I wanted to take advantage of it as much as I could. I was playing with the character's intelligence a little bit there. I was lucky to get that scene where we get the turn, where we get that last punch line, where it's revealed he's been scheming all along. That moment is great. Like any actor, I was relying on the script to carry me, and I think it works."

Monaghan also said he was "curious to see where they take [Jerome]," whether they will go the route of the vat of chemicals or portray him as "a man who chose to simply put on make-up," like in the Christopher Nolan Batman films.

Gotham reportedly , Wayne Enterprises' tech guru, while .

post from sitemap
Categories: